This poll appeared on Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia some days ago. it was made by Maryland University in Morocco, Pakistan, Indonesia and Egypt.
Summing up the data:
- Only 35% of the Moroccans say they are sure that the culprits of the Sept 11 terrorist attacks belong to Al-Qaeda. In general, 21% rejected to answer, 31% says he is not sure, 38% considers they are sure and 10% very sure.
- The majority of Muslims opposed to terrorist attacks against civilians perpetrated by Al-Qaeda, but they support some attitudes of the Bin Laden’s net against USA, and they also share its final goals. When asked if Al Qaeda fights for the dignity of the Muslims, 75% of Moroccans answers affirmatively.
- In Morocco, the 67% of the people interviewed things that establishing a Global Caliphate is a target of the terrorist organization and 71% is also supporting that objective.
- 76% of the polled subjects also support the strict application of Sharia Law in theis countries.
- Asked if the terrorist attacks are justified, Moroccans answer in 34% that they are never justified, 19% not often justified, 19% excuses them often and 16% justifies them usually.
- For 84% of Moroccans, the terrorism is a “little problem” and only 13% considers it as a subject of great dimensions.
Just the same day, ex-US ambassador in UN, John Bolton was interviewed by right-wing newspaper La Razón: an excerpt:
-Spain has suffered two terrorist attacks on Lebanon and Yemen. Is Spain and Al-Qaeda objective or they just attack where they can?
-I really believe they are targeting Westerners, and that is why there should be much more cooperation between Europe and US. A lot of people in Europe and some people in the US think that only US is a terrorists’ target. Or only United Kingdom because of its pro-Israeli policy or in Iraq. This is a great error because Al-Qaeda’s long-term objective is to finish West off. Every part of the world is vulnerable.
-Ben Laden and its terrorist organization have reclaimed a lot of times the liberation of Al-Andalus. Should Spanish Government take this threat seriously?
-Yes, Ben Laden and many other radical Islamists really believe that they should revert the course of history in Spain, in the east and center of Europe and everywhere. This is not a hypothetical position. They also are looking very close to the immigration through the north of Africa as a part of their reconquest plan.
-So the idea of restoring the caliphate is a part of their working plan.
-They are very serious about this, because for them the caliphate is an order which comes directly from Mohammed. In their vision of the world there is no diference between the political and religious life. Everything is the same. The caliphate includes both the political and religious legitimation which emanates from the prophet.
By the way, the Spanish wounded tourist in Yemen’s attack, has died this last night. She had been declared as “brain dead” some days ago and the doctors have openly spoken against her being transferred to Spain as her wounds were so grave. With María Asunción Vitorica’s death, the total toll of Spanish dead in Yemen is eight.